French Food Friday - Smoked salmon, prawns & Miami cocktail sauce

 

We celebrated French Boyfriend's birthday last weekend and we agreed that the best idea was to have a romantic dinner at home. 

To be honest, I toyed with the idea of getting our favourite restaurant to cater but when I mentioned this idea to FB, he replied he preferred that I prepare something.

Without going into too much detail, let's just say Saturday did not get off to a good start and I was wishing I had gone with the catering option.

I decided that seafood was a good idea and I found the perfect starter, thanks to Jamie Oliver. I decided that needed a change from French food and this would be perfect with a bottle of perfectly chilled champagne...

Smoked salmon, prawns & Miami cocktail sauce

Ingredients
3 baby gem lettuces
300 g smoked salmon 
24 large cooked peeled prawns 
1 lime
extra virgin olive oil

MIAMI-STYLE SPICED COCKTAIL SAUCE
½ a large clove of garlic
2 cm piece of ginger
1 spring onion
a few sprigs of fresh coriander
4 tablespoons free-range mayonnaise
4 tablespoons tomato ketchup
2 tablespoons chilli sauce
1 teaspoon English mustard

Method
Peel and finely grate the garlic and ginger, trim and slice the spring onion, pick and finely chop the coriander leaves, then add to a bowl with the rest of the cocktail sauce ingredients. Mix well to combine, then chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
Trim the lettuce, separate the leaves and divide between plates. Drape over the smoked salmon, then arrange the prawns on top.
Dress the lettuce and seafood generously with the cocktail sauce. Cut the lime into wedges and squeeze a little juice over each plate, drizzle over some oil and finish with a good grinding of black pepper.

Note I used smoked trout as this is produced in France and I prefer the taste as it has more flavour. It was delicious and I am planning on making it again this weekend....



Bon vendredi à tous ! Leeann x

Comments