French food Friday...Croque Monsieur Bake
recipe and photo from here
When I say this recipe, I knew that it was perfect for a rainy week-end in SW France.
- 6 slices ready-sliced multigrain brown bread
- 75 grams Dijon mustard
- 6 slices Gruyere cheese
- 3 slices ham
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon Maldon salt (or ½ teaspoon table salt)
- 80 ml full fat milk
- 4 tablespoons grated Gruyere cheese (or emmental or cheddar)
- 1 good sprinkling of Worcestershire sauce
- Spread each slice of bread with mustard. Make sandwiches by putting each slice of cheese against the mustardy bread, and a slice of ham between them. Cut each sandwich in half to make two triangles.
- Squish the sandwich triangles into an ovenproof dish approx. 27 x 21cm x 6cm deep / 10½ x 8¼ inches x 2¼ inches deep.
- Beat together the eggs, salt and milk (I measure out the milk into whatever the mustard's been in for maximum flavour penetration) and then pour this over the sandwiches tightly packed in the dish.
- Cover the dish with cling film and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Next morning, preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6/400ºF. Take the dish out of the fridge and remove the cling film.
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese and worcestershire sauce and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
très bon vendredi à tous, Leeann x