French food Friday...Robert Linxe’s Chocolate Truffles (La Maison du Chocolat)


Bonjour mes belles,

I never understood the popularity of chocolate truffles until I tried a dark chocolate truffle from La Maison du Chocolat. 



I took a small bite of the plain, cocoa dusted truffle and let it melt in my mouth......I was in chocolate heaven.

A month or so ago, I received a lovely surprise in the post, a friend who is also one of the best chefs that I know, sent me "The loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris" paper back, written by the very witty Jenny Colgan, which once I started, I found it hard to put down and whilst reading I could almost smell the chocolate......

Hence this week's recipe involves chocolate.....sorry to anyone that does not like chocolate!


Robert Linxe’s Chocolate Truffles

(La Maison du Chocolat)
Gourmet, February 2001


Makes about 60 truffles (Do not double the recipe).
11 ounces Valrhona chocolate (56% cacao)
2/3 cup heavy cream
Valrhona cocoa powder for dusting


Finely chop 8 ounces of the chocolate and put in a bowl. Bring heavy cream to a boil in a small heavy saucepan. Make sure your pan is small, so you’ll lose the least amount of cream to evaporation, and heavy, which will keep the cream from scorching. Linxe boils his cream three times — he believes that makes the ganache last longer. If you do this, compensate for the extra evaporation by starting with a little more cream.

Pour the cream over the chocolate, mashing any big pieces with a wooden spoon.

Then stir with a whisk in concentric circles (don’t beat or you’ll incorporate air), starting in the center and working your way to the edge, until the ganache is smooth.

Let stand at room temperature until thick enough to hold a shape, about 1 hour, then, using a pastry bag with a 3/8-inch opening or tip, pipe into mounds (about 3/4 inch high and 1 inch wide) on parchment-lined baking sheets. When piping, finish off each mound with a flick of the wrist to soften and angle the point tip. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt 3 more ounces of the same Valrhona and smear some on a gloved hand. Gently rub each chilled truffle to coat lightly with chocolate. (The secret to a delicate coating of chocolate is to roll each truffle in a smear of melted chocolate in your hand. Linxe always uses gloves.)
Toss the truffles in unsweetened Valrhona cocoa powder so they look like their namesakes, freshly dug from the earth. A fork is the best tool for tossing truffles in cacao. Shake truffles in a sieve to eliminate excess cacao.

bonne degustation à tous, Leeann x

Comments

  1. Oh how decadent; I adore great truffles!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gnammy!
    J'Adore chocolate ...
    Have a great week end.
    Bisou, Babi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love books about food and I am going to check Nook to see if they have it! Those chocolate truffles look simple delectable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love his chocolates and years ago met him in his first shop in Paris. Now when we go I still stop at the one near Fauchon and stock up and CDG airport sells his chocolates also for a last minute fix before boarding the plane!
    He was a very quiet man when I met him and so proud of his creations. On my last visit a few years ago the shop assistant told me he is retired but still stops by and checks on the quality! How very French and artistic, non?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment