French Food Friday... Gratin Dauphinoise with Smoked Salmon
photo and recipe from here
This particular recipe proved most handy last night when all we had in the house was potatoes, smoked salmon and of course cream which French Boyfriend adores and uses when he thinks I am not looking....
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
You will need
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/ gas mark 4. If using an Aga, use the bottom shelf of the roasting oven.
2. This dish is more elegant if you slice the potatoes very thinly with a mandoline, or you can use the slicing attachment on a food processor.
3. Rub a baking dish or tin with the garlic clove, and then discard the clove. Grease with butter. Arrange a layer of potato slices in the bottom of the dish, so that they resemble fish scales.
4. Salt the layer lightly. Then add a layer of smoked salmon. Repeat with the rest of the potatoes and salmon, salting lightly as you go. You shouldn’t have more than three layers altogether, as you need room at the top for the cream, so don’t overfill the dish. Just three layers also keeps the dish from being too stodgy.
5. Place the bay leaves on the top layer and season. Pour over the double cream; this should cover the potatoes and bay leaves generously.