French Food Friday...Fig Tartes Tatins


recipe and photo from here
 

 
It is fig season here in SW France and everywhere you look are luscious fig trees laden with lots of lovely fruit. This is a favourite recipe as it is trés simple and the end result trés delicieux!

Ingredients

500g block puff pastry
plain flour , for dusting
200g golden caster sugar
80g butter
4  star anise
10-12 figs, halved

 

Method

  1. Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface to about 20p thickness. Put a round plate - about 12cm - on top and cut round it with a sharp knife to make 4 pastry circles. Sprinkle the circles with a little of the sugar and put them into the fridge.
  2. Heat the oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Put the remaining sugar and butter in a pan. Bring to the boil slowly, but do not stir it. When it begins to go a dark amber colour, add the star anise and cook for 1 minute more, then take from the heat and pour into the bottom of 4 blini pans, approx 12cm wide, or 4 small tart tins without loose bases. Make sure there is 1 star anise in each. Put the figs in with the stem pointing towards the centre to make a wheel pattern. Put the pastry lid on the top and tuck the pastry in as though you were tucking in some sheets. Put on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden, puffed and cooked through.
  3. Take out of the oven and leave for a couple of minutes then turn onto warm plates. Serve with crème fraîche or ice cream.

 
...bon appetit à tous, Leeann x

Comments

  1. Ah, j'adore les figues! Your recipe sounds wonderful, but my issue is the same it has always been: Where do I find decent puff pastry here in the US? I am afraid I am no Julia Child and would not know where to start... Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think we do figs alot in the uk, I am going to shope around, but I suppose you can do this with any fruit, pear or apple .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Figs are so rich and decadent. Your recipe looks fabulous. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds incredible! I am still amazed at the amount of figs we harvested this year! Finally! The preserves I made will make great Christmas gifts and I even have ton's more figs in the freezer! And to think we just planted olive trees! Oh My!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous and one of a kind. I never thought that a fig has something to do with cooking. Thank you for providing the ingredients and method. Hopefully i can make this at home and serve this to my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a nice post. I have searched online for french food and now i have found your blog as well as french food . Thanks for sharing this nice combination of french recipe. I like various cuisine food very much. I have visited French restaurant. I have enjoyed French food very much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment