just arrived.....


Love these vintage madeleine tins that have just arrived at fabulously french and think that they would look great displayed on a kitchen wall.

a little bit of history on madeleines....

18th Century Madeleines are always associated with the little French town of Commercy, whose bakers were said to have once, long ago, paid a "very large sum" for the recipe and sold the little cakes packed in oval boxes as a specialty in the area. Nuns in eighteenth-century France frequently supported themselves and their schools by making and selling a particular sweet.

Commercy once had a convent dedicated to St. Mary Magdelen. Historians thing that the nuns, probably when all the convents and monasteries of France were abolished during the French Revolution, sold their recipe to the bakers.

According to another story or legend, during the 18th century in the French town of Commercy, in the region of Lorraine, a young servant girl name Madeleine made them for Stanislas Leszczynska, the deposed king of Poland when he was exiled to Lorraine. This started the fashion for madeleines' (as they were named by the Leszczynska). They became popular in Versailles by his daughter Marie, who was married to Louis XV (1710–1774).

cordialement from a very warm SW France, Leeann x

Comments

  1. I love making madeleines and I love these pans. I make them often.
    Happy Tuesday, Leeann.
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice share
    visit me http://erick-10.blogspot.com/ :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got my pans from William Sonoma and have been making madeleines for my family! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Leeann,

    Lovely information for all those that are not from the Old World. They were very popular and also in my birth country we baked them and they still are available.
    Sending you the same sunny and hot greetings back from southeast United States,

    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely traditional tins! How funny - I recently posted about madeleines and I referred to the last story.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look like chocolate molds! Speaking of chocolate, I'm gonna go and get me some!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment