French Food Friday...Pommes de Terre à La Boulangère.


Is there anyone in the world thast does not love potatoes. I love potatoes, the French love potatoes, everyone loves potatoes. This recipe gets it’s name from a time in France when wood for cooking was in short supply, so the villagers would take their potatoes in pots along to the local boulanger and have him cook them in the bread oven at the same time as the bread was cooking hence the name Pommes de Terre à La Boulangère.

Ingredients:


•2 lbs potatoes (6-8 potatoes)
•1 large onion
•140mls/ ¼ pint hot stock (Bouillon cubes are OK for this recipe)
•140 mls/ ¼ pint of milk
•75grams/3 oz butter
•Salt and pepper

1. Peel the potatoes and cut them into thin slices. Don’t worry, if they are a little too thick it just takes a few minutes longer to cook.

2. Peel the onion and chop finely.
3. Heat the stock in a small saucepan while cutting the vegetables.
4. Wash the potatoes and pat them dry.
5. Butter the baking dish or Lasagne tray generously. Arrange a layer of potato slices, sprinkle with some chopped onion and salt and pepper.

6. Continue layering in this way until all the potatoes are used. You should finish with a layer of potatoes on top. Season with salt and pepper. This dish should be a little salty.

7. Now pour the stock and milk over.
8. Place a few small knobs of butter on top and bake in the oven at 350F for about 45 minutes, until the top layer is golden brown.

This dish goes well with roast chicken, roast lamb or roast beef.

If serving with chicken use chicken stock if beef, beef stock.

Bon Apetit!

Comments

  1. I am going to try this recipe. The heck with cake give me potatoes

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum...this will be dinner tonight...cate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sunday lunch potatoes are now sorted! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love this way of cooking spuds (my son's nick-name is Spud!)
    I often put a sprinkle of nutmeg in too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this dish...roast chicken and Pommes de Terre a La Boulangere for us on Sunday ;-)
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Catherine
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this looks delicious! Simple yet elegant way to serve potatoes.

    Merci!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look amazing! I'll be trying them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look delicious! I will try these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I love potatoes and this caught my eye. I always have a nice supply of them as they grow perfect here! xo ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the name Pommes de Terre a La Boulangere. Can't wait to try this recipe..

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Leeann,

    I have a recipe, much the same but has shallots and thyme and white wine.
    Your recipe looks delicious and yes, aren't potatoes such a wonderful vegetable.

    Hope you are enjoying the weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're right, I love potatoes and this recipe sounds delicious xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just made this last week! I added a bit of half and half and rubbed the dish with a clove of garlic. My goodness, I could have eaten it all by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just made this last week! I added a bit of half and half and rubbed the dish with a clove of garlic. My goodness, I could have eaten it all by myself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment