French Food Friday...7 hour lamb


{photo and recipe from here}

Today I thought that I would share with you, the recipe that I am going to be using over the Easter weekend which is not far away now.

Of course, as a Kiwi I will be using NZ Lamb and I am always surprised and happy when I see the supermarket freezers full of NZ lamb here in France.

Ingredients
  • 1 large leg of   lamb, about 3kg/6lb 8oz
  • 4 onions, sliced
  • 8  cloves garlic, peeled but left whole                                                
  • 4 carrots , leave whole if small or quarter lengthways
  • 300ml white wine
  • 300ml stock , use what you have
  • 2 tbsp Armagnac or Madeira, optional, to finish
  • thyme sprigs, to finish

METHOD:

  1. Heat oven to 120C/fan 100C/gas ½. Put your largest lidded casserole on the hob and brown the seasoned leg of lamb on all sides - do this very thoroughly until it is a good dark brown as it will not brown during the cooking. (If you don't do it now, it will end up beige.) If the lamb sticks, add a drizzle of oil - legs of lamb differ. Allow 10 mins on a high heat and put on the cooker fan to remove the smoke. Pour away any fat that has collected in the bottom of the pan.
  2. Throw in the vegetables, followed by the wine and stock. Season and bring to the boil, then clap on the lid and put in the oven. Bake for 7 hrs, turning twice. After 5 hrs the meat will be cooked and offer no resistance to the knife.
  3. There is no need to rest the meat when cooked in this way, but to finish the sauce, transfer the meat and vegetables to a serving dish. Strain the sauce into a jug and pour or blot away the fat with kitchen paper. Pour the sauce into a pan then boil the liquid hard to reduce by a quarter, by which time it will be rich and flavoursome. Adjust seasoning, add the Armagnac if you wish, and serve alongside the lamb, which should be served with a spoon, a la cuillère as the French call it.
Bon appetit a tous.......Leeann x

Comments

  1. This is definitely one to try and i like to buy New Zealand lamb too. This really is slow cooked! The sauce with Armagnac or Madeira sounds like a wonderful addition. A perfect Easter meal.

    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! I must try it soon.
    Your blog always makes me hungry. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to blame you for my weight gain, Leann!
    Looks fabulous!
    Have a nice weekend.
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always glad to find NZ lamb in our markets, here in the US. I prefer it to some of the other varieties. I could never stew it, though. Seems like a desecration of good lamb. We prefer it rare here, and always have lamb for Easter dinner. Perhaps if there are any leftovers I will use them and the flavoring you have suggested to make a dish the following week. That sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness my mouth is watering!
    This looks like a feast for a king! hehe.
    Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful weekend!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kia Ora Good girl keep up selling our great produce. Don't forget some lovely Oyster Bay or other NZ wine to have with it tastes better that way!!
    Will be keeping the Canterbury Meat Industry going myself over the long weekend.
    Pō Marie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment