Difference between English & French

{image from here}

Yesterday my fabulous French teacher came to my house for our weekly lesson. She commented on how beautiful the roses that Mr FF had bought me and then asked if I knew the saying about love and the daisy. Why, of course, I said, it goes like this....

he loves me,
he loves me not,
he loves me..

and you just pray that you have enough petals to make it to he loves me.

She told me that in French it is not quite the same as the saying goes like this.....


Il/Elle m'aime un peu,
Il/Elle m'aime beaucoup,
Il/Elle m'aime passionnément,
Il/Elle m'aime à la folie,
Il/Elle m'aime pas du tout

which translates to "He/She loves me a little, a lot, passionately, madly, not at all").

What more can I say except an example of the difference in the way in which we think.

If I was to use the French saying, I think that I should start looking for a large daisy just to be on the safe side....

A demain,

Leeann x

p.s. I am still hoping and praying that the missing miners in New Zealand will be found fit and well and ask that you would please do the same.


Comments

  1. Oh gosh, that's so romantic! All MOTH can muster is the occasional 'I love youse lots, you're rooly grouse!'
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. The French version every time!
    As you say our thoughts are with the miners.
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  3. reminder to myself: don't do the daisything in France! Thank you ;)

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I really like your blog!
    best wishes
    Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving this little morsel today.
    Praying still --- and for Cambodia :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful to know the differences! how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The French always seem to have a romatic take on everything! So cute! Thanks for sharing!
    Theresa
    aka:TOT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    Childrens loves to play with daisy !
    So cute !
    Have a nice day,
    Béatrice

    ReplyDelete
  9. He-he...I agree! :)

    Will pray for those miners, miracles still do happen!
    Ixx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another French custom I had no idea of! That is very cool to learn that, but yes, only pick the HUGE daisies. Joining in prayers with everyone for the miners. xo ~Lili

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment