1. 2CV’s – I love these cars they make me smile every time that I see one. One of our friends has just bought an immaculate white one which I am will feature in a later post.
3. Cakes packed in lovely cardboard boxes
4. Baguettes – nothing tastes nicer than a baguette still warm from the oven
5. Foie Gras – I know that it may not be politically correct but I love it and are lucky that we live in the main foie gras area in France!
6. Prunes – Agen prunes are rated as the best in the world and I now understand why.
7. Pastis – we often have a glass of patis at our local bar on our return from a Sunday afternoon’s cycling in the country
Chateau in nearby village of Lauzun
8. Cheese – I love all French cheese and I am always amazed at just how many are on offer at our local supermarket
9. Wine – We are spoilt for choice here as we are within striking distance to Monbazillac, Bordeaux and St Emillion and cannot believe how cheap the wine is here compared to Sydney and London
10. Church bells ringing on the hour, and every half hour throughout the day.
11. Lace curtains.
12. Johnny Hallyday – the French love him and play his music every chance they get
13. Fetes des vins – wine festivals are so much fun as is the oyster and wine festival which takes place in August
14. Flower markets
15. Vide Greniers/Brocantes
16. Bastille day in France – our village is only small but it puts on the most wonderful firework display
17. Plaited strings of onions and garlic – every kitchen should have one
18. Madame Sarkozy (alias the very talented and beautiful Carla Bruni)
19. Chateaux – would you believe that we we have 1 001 in our area
20. Seasonal window displays – I love the way that all the shops change their window displays in accordance with the seasons
21. Dog grooming parlours – I love peering in the window watching the transformation take place
22. Politeness - I love the way when out walking in the village everyone greets one another
23. Boules – every village has its own playing area, I love watching the local’s play.
24. Bicycles - is there any other mode of transport?
25. Markets – a wonderful way to catch up with friends
Local market in Eymet
26. History – I come from the youngest country in the world (New Zealand) so to live in a 13th century village is pretty unbelievable
28. Volets or shutters as they are know in English – they are so practical and I cannot imagine living in a house that did not have them
29. Toile de jouy – what more can I say except that I love it.
I love the way that they turn to face the sun!
31.Champagne – enough said!
32. Chanel #5 – my favourite perfume
33. Edith Piaf – I love her voice and love to open my windows wide and turn up the volume on the stereo
34. Ironing water – so many to choose from
35. Geraniums in window boxes – I hate the smell but love the way they look
36. Old French linen – something that I plan to start collecting
37. Vineyards in autumn – the colours of the leaves are beautiful
Photo - Kees Terberg I plan to profile his work in the future as his work is amazing
38. Chandeliers – every house needs one
Please email me any of your favourite French things and I will add to the list.