French Food Friday - SImple Salade Nicoise
Bonjour from a very hot SW France,
The gift was put to good use last night as the majority of the fresh and local vegetables were used to make a simple and quick salade nicoise.
Simple Salade Nicoise
For the salad
8 medium sized Potatoes (I normally allow 2 per person)
500 green beans
Large tin of tuna
Anchovies, Black olives & french basil leaves
For the dressing
4 Tablespoons Red wine vinegar
4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
4 teaspoons French Dijon Grain Mustard
Note try and prepare this a couple of hours before you plan to eat it as the beans and potatoes taste best when served cold straight from the fridge.
1. Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for approx. 20 minutes until they are cooked but still firm. Refrigerate until cold.
2. Then cook the beans, I cook mine in a wok for 5-8 minutes. Cool and place in the fridge.
3. Boil the eggs and leave to cool.
4.Drain the tuna and which with a fork to loosen up the pieces.
5. Cut the tomatoes, potatoes and eggs into quarters.
6. Assemble the salad, start with the beans then add the chopped potatoes and tomatoes. Finish with the olives, anchovies and fresh basil which are optional.
Next add the tuna followed by the eggs. Add 4-5 black olives if you like them.
7. Combine the red wine vinegar, olive oil and French grain mustard.
I use an empty bonne maman jar and shake to combine.
8. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve immediately with a nice crusty baguette.