French Food Friday - Gâteau aux pommes / French Apple Cake
It has been an interesting week, French Boyfriend has reopened his antique shop as a result of the covid-19 restrictions being lifted and we have had our first covid-19 vaccinations, I feel happy that we have had them and in a month we will have the second shot.
As a reward I asked French Boyfriend if he would like me to bake him something. He is in the process of finishing a flourless chocolate cake so I knew it would be something that does not contain chocolate.
How about a French Apple Cake I suggested, does it contain rum was his reponse. End result, ine very yummy cake filled with rum flavoured buttery apples.
Gâteau aux pommes
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
115 grams (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling over cake
2 large eggs or 3 small eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons dark rum
2 large baking apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (3-1/2 - 4 cups chopped)
Confectioners' sugar (optional), for decorating cake
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C/ 350°F and set an oven rack in the middle position. Grease a 9-inch springform or regular cake pan with butter or nonstick cooking spray. If using a regular cake pan, line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and grease again.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Using a handheld mixer with beaters or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and rum. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the chopped apples.
4. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and even the top. Sprinkle evenly with 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar.
5. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool on a rack in the pan. Once cool, run a blunt knife around the edges of the cake.
6. If you are using a springform pan, remove the sides. If using a regular cake pan, carefully invert the cake onto the rack, remove the parchment paper, then gently flip the cake over and place right-side-up on a platter. Using a fine sieve, dust with confectioners' sugar . Cake can be served warm or room temperature, plain or with lightly sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Freezer Friendly Instructions: The cake can be frozen for up to 3 months. After it is completely cooled, wrap it tightly with aluminum foil or freezer wrap. Thaw overnight on the countertop before serving.
Bon appetit a tous♥♥ Leeann x