French food Friday -Sablés fourrés à la confiture/Linzer Biscuits
Bonjour from a chilly but very sunny SW France,
This week I fancied making something nice and bright and as our guests have finished all of the raspberry jam that I made, I thought I would make some strawberry Linzer biscuits or as the French refer to them, Sablés fourrés à la confiture, for a change.
Sablés fourrés à la confiture/Linzer Biscuits
3 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups butter (softened)
2 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup good-quality strawberry jam
Confectioners' sugar (for dusting)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the butter, sugar and vanilla until just combined.
3. Add the flour, water and salt and mix on low speed until the dough comes together in a mass.
4. Empty the dough out onto your work surface and shape into a flat disk. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
5. Roll the dough out to a uniform 1/4 inch thickness and, using a cookie cutter, cut rounds (or hearts). Using a smaller cookie cutter, make holes in the middle of half of your rounds.
6. Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet and chill for an additional 15 minutes prior to baking.
7. Bake the cookies for 10 - 15 minutes, until the edges begin to brown.
8. Allow the cookies to cool to room temperature.
9. Spread strawberry jam on each solid cookie.
10. Sandwich your cookies together, dust the cookies with confectioners' sugar and enjoy.
bon appetit♥♥ Leeann x