French food Friday - Jaffa friands

 
recipe and photo from here


This week  everything that I have made has chocolate in it. Continuing with this theme, I am going to make some friands as I have a lot of eggs on hand. 

I love friands as they they have a fabulous texture which is due to the ground almonds and egg whites. It is an Australian recipe and I have Australia on my mind today as I have a bouquet of mimosa in my hall which smells heavenly.


Jaffa friands

 Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups icing sugar mixture
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 cup almond meal (ground almonds)
  • 1/2 cup plain flour
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
  • 6 egg whites, lightly whisked
  • 185g butter, melted, cooled
  • Icing sugar mixture, to serve
     
     

    Method

    • Step 1 Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Grease a 12-hole, 1/2 cup-capacity friand pan.
    • Step 2 Sift icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl. Add almond meal, flour and orange rind. Stir to combine. Make a well in centre. Add egg whites and butter. Stir to combine.
    • Step 3 Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre of 1 friand comes out clean. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar. Serve.
     
    bon fin de semaine à tous, Leeann x

Comments