french food Friday...Cheese-topped Dauphinois Potatoes
photo and recipe from here
Bonjour mes belles,
I hope that you have had a fabulous week. Ours has been a fun one with French Boyfriend selling up a storm in the boutique whilst I have been spending the week shopping. Shopping is one of my preferred past times and I am enjoying shopping for me as opposed to shopping for bathroom fittings, kitchen etc.
Unfortunately French Boyfriend is not an enthusiastic as moi when it comes to shopping hence I am developing a more speedy approach.
Enough about shopping, let's get down to business. As you know food is taken very seriously in France and a lot of the day is talking about food.
It is getting cooler here in SW France and Autumn has arrived. Autumn provides the perfect excuse to spend more time in the kitchen and it is my favourite time of the year.
This week's recipe is a favourite as it involves cheese and potatoes and is very yummy...
Cheese-topped Dauphinois Potatoes
- 750 g King Edward potatoes or other floury potatoes
- 150ml chicken stock
- 100 ml double cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Knob of butter
- Preheat the oven to 220C/gas mark 7. Peel the potatoes and rinse under cold water, then dry and slice very thinly by hand or with the slicer attachment on a processor. Put the stock into a large jug and mix with the cream.
- Arrange a layer of potato over the base of the tin, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then pour over a little of the stock mixture. Continue in the same way until the potato and liquid are used up. Dot the butter over the top and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until soft around the edges but still firm in the middle. Remove the foil and cook for a further 25–-30 minutes or until golden and tender. Leave to cool, then chill – overnight is best.
- Choose a lipped board or tray thats bigger than the roasting tin (so it will catch any juices) and place on a worktop. Carefully tip the roasting tin upside down on to it and remove the paper. Cut the potatoes into even-sized servings, arrange on a greased or paper-lined baking sheet, and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Reheat in an oven preheated to 200C/gas mark 6 for 25-30 minutes or until golden and piping hot.
très bon vendredi à tous, Leeann x