French food Friday...Chocolate Chip Madeleines
recipe and photo from here
Bonjour mes belles,
This weeks recipe is a favourite of mine and I think that these would make fabulous Christmas gifts....
Chocolate Chip Madeleines
- 2 medium eggs
- 85g (3 ¼ oz) golden caster sugar
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch of fine sea salt
- 100g (3 ½ oz) plain flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 75g (3oz) unsalted butter melted
- 75g (3oz) dark chocolate chips
- unsalted butter for the moulds
- icing sugar for dusting optional
- For the perfectly turned out madeleine, silicone moulds work well. You will need two standard nine-hole madeleine moulds, or alternatively use fairy cake tins if you wish.
- Whisk the eggs with the sugar, honey, vanilla and salt in a large bowl for 5-8 minutes until very pale and at least doubled in volume, using an electric whisk. Sift over and fold in the flour and baking powder, then the melted butter and chocolate chips. Cover and chill for an hour or two, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 240C/220C fan/gas 9. Butter 16-18 fairy cake or silicone madeleine moulds. Give the chilled mixture a good stir and fill the moulds by three quarters with a heaped teaspoon. (Cook’s note: placing the chilled batter in a very hot oven, then progressively reducing the temperature, helps create the typical domed top of the madeleines).
...trés bon vendredi à tous, Leeann x