French Food Friday...Confit d'Oignon

 

I always have at least several jars of Confit d'Oignon in my cupboard; it goes well with so many different types of dishes & recipes.  We eat it with foie gras but you can serve it with charcuterie, terrines & cheeses; and is a great addition to vegetables, soups, stews or as a sauce for steaks. 
 
I also use it when making  tarts, quiches and it makes a normal  toasted cheese sandwich taste that bit tastier. Make a few jars as  it is expensive to buy, even here in France; it is a good idea to make several jars when onions are cheap or you have a glut in your garden. 
 
You can make it with red or yellow onions, red onions gives the finished confit a fantastic colour but any onion will work with this recipe.
 
 
Ingredients:

1 kg onion, red ot yellow, peeled & cut in half & sliced thinly

100 ml olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 bay leaves
2 rosemary sprigs
150 g soft brown sugar
75 ml dry white wine
75 ml red wine vinegar
25 ml balsamic vinegar

Directions:


1
In a heavy frying pan, heat up the olive oil and add the finely sliced onions - toss around to make sure they all have a coating of oil.
2 Cover & cook over a gentle heat until they start to colour.
3 Add the salt, pepper, bay leaves & rosemary sprigs & cook for a further 20 to 30 minutes, until the herbs have wilted.
4 Take off the lid and add the sugar, wine & vinegars.
5 Bring them to the boil and keep stirring al the time; then lower the heat & simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes until the liquid is all dissolved and the onions are soft & sticky.
6 You will need to be very vigilant towards the end of the cooking - stirring all the time so the onions do not stick and become burnt and scorched.
7 Pick out the rosemary & bay leaves and spoon the confit into a clean, dry & sterilised jar & seal straight away.
8 Ready to eat after 2 weeks, but better if kept for at least 1-2 months.
9 Makes one x 300ml jar - the recipe can easily be increased - use a large preserving pan if necessary.
 
......bon vendredi à tous, Leeann x

Comments

  1. This sounds scrumptious! I may give it a try as a hostess gift to our friends who live in USA .. but she is from France.

    My lovely candle holder and beautiful clock arrived .. merci. I can't wait to use both!!! xo C. (HHL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love confit d' oignon and I always bring it home from our trips to France.
    This year I will make my own- thank you so much for this recipe.
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of confit d' oignon before, but it sounds delicious! I am going to have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank for your posting http://dulichsenvang.vn/du-lich-nuoc-ngoai/du-lich-thai-lan/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog about French food is really awesome. I like various cuisine food very much. I like French culture, tradition, French food etc . Last summer I have visited France as well as I have visited French restaurant. I have enjoyed French food very much.
    french children



    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment